To all of you who are proud owners of the new Great Planes SlowPoke kit....Congratulations on your purchase!
Very Important: On the initial production run of the SlowPoke, the punch marks on the die-cut 1/8" ply Upper Engine Mount were incorrect (Die-cut sheet SP15F02).
Not sure if your kit is from the initial run? This is easy to determine, no matter what stage you're at in the construction of the model. If you have not already done so, draw the line as instructed between the two punch marks in your upper engine mount plate. Lay the plate flat on your work surface with the narrow end facing away from you and the plate line side up (if its already installed in the aircraft, just stand above the model so you are looking directly down on the engine mount plates with the firewall straight beneath you). Does your line point to the right or the left? If its points left, your parts are from the initial run of the kit and you need to follow the instructions below. If it points right, nothing to worry about! Enjoy your SlowPoke!
If you have a first run kit, please turn to page 20, steps 1 thru 4 in your instruction manual and note the following:
1. If you have NOT begun assembly of the fuselage or engine mount:
- Page 20, step 1: Before laminating the die-cut 1/8" ply engine mounts together, drill through the factory punch marks on the large engine mount with a 1/167quot; drill. Turn the mount over and connect the holes with a line from front to back. The bottom of the large engine mount is now the top. Laminate the mounts together as instructed in step 1 and continue with assembly as instructed.
2. If you have already laminated the engine mounts together, but have NOT cut the opening for your engine:
- Page 20, step 2: Print and cut out this full size template, SlowPoke PDF drawing (if you do not have the free Adobe Reader, you can download it at: Adobe Reader Download Page.) Carefully align the template directly over the assembled engine mount. Using a nail or similarly pointed object, transfer the punch locations from the template to the engine mount. Disregarding the factory punch marks, draw a line from front to back on the engine mount using the new punch marks as a guide. Continue with assembly as instructed.
3. If you have already laminated the engine mounts together and cut out the opening for your engine:
- You will need replacement parts. Please contact our Product Support department and request a die-cut 1/8" ply SP15F02 replacement. Please be sure to include your mailing address and daytime phone number in all Fax and E-Mail correspondence. The replacement parts will be sent to you at no cost.
4. If you have already installed the engine mounting plates into your SlowPoke:
- Please contact our Product Support department and request an update package for your SlowPoke. We will mail it to you promptly, which will provide you instructions to easily resolve this problem without having to dismantle the engine compartment of your model. (Please be sure to include your mailing address and daytime phone number in all Fax and E-Mail correspondence. The replacement parts will be sent to you at no cost.)
We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
The Slowpoke has an extremely wide performance window. Depending on the performace you desire from your model, please set it up accordingly:
|Sport Model Settings||Sunday Flier Settings|
|High Rate||Low Rate|
|Elev (each way):||5/8" (16 mm)||1/2" (12.5 mm)||3/8"|
|Rudder (each way):||2" (51 mm)||1-1/2"||1"|
Please also note that depending upon your engine selection the model may require some noseweight. Do not be concerned about any nose weight additions required up to 8 oz. This model has a HUGE wing and a light wingloading and such additions are not critical to its flight performance.Great Planes Model Manufacturing